Department 22: Queen Contest
|Judging||Monday, August 16 at 4:00pm|
|Deadline for all entries||Reply Before August 1|
Exhibitors must adhere to the General Rules for the Harford Fair listed here.
Please see entry form below for a complete listing of rules and classes.
- Written Essay on the topic "What My Fair Means to My Community"
(300 words or less) Judging Criteria: Content, Grammar, and Spelling.
- Personal Interview - each contestant will meet alone with the panel of three (3) judges.
Judging Criteria: Conversational ability, the answers to the questions, appearance/poise, activities, and knowledge of the fair industry.
- Speech Presentation on the topic "Why You Should Come To My Fair" (3-5 minutes; timed event). Persuasive speech appropriate for an audience of adults. Judging Criteria: Speech content (to include agriculture), speech format, conveying a message, public speaking ability, and poise/presence
"What My Fair Means to My Community" This is a judged item.
- The essay must be typed or word processed on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Handwritten not accepted.
- Include contestant's name and name of the fair she is representing on the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Include total word count on the bottom right-hand corner of the page (the body of the essay must be 300 words or less. This does not include title.)
- Judging: content, grammar, spelling, and word count (body of essay must be 300 words or less)
- Also, include a head and shoulder picture of yourself. This picture will not be returned, it may be used for publicity regarding the contest. Entrant hereby grants the right to use her photographs or likeness to the Harford Agricultural Society for its promotional purposes, waives any and all claims for compensation for said use and releases the said Society for any and all claims whatsoever arising out of the use of her photographs of likeness.
- The first place winner, the queen, will receive $500 from the fair, and $100 scholarship from the PA Trappers' Association. The alternate will receive $300. Each contestant will receive $25.
EACH FAIR QUEEN CONTESTANT MUST:
- Be a "female" who is a U.S. Citizen and a resident of Pennsylvania.
- Be at least 16 years of age and not over 20 years of age as of June 1 of the year entering the local contest.
- Be certified as the winner by the local fair where she was crowned. (Applies to PA Fair Queen, not for Harford Fair Queen)
- Have not been a former Local Fair Queen winner, nor a former PA Fair Queen.
- Not hold any other state title for any commodity group or pageant during her reign.
- Have her parent(s) or guardian(s) consent to enter the competition.
- Be single, have never been married, have not been pregnant nor given birth to a child.
- Act in accordance with the PA Fair Queen "Behavior Policy".
- Meet all time commitments, Queen obligations and "Dress Code" as set forth by the PA Fair Queen Program.
FAIR QUEEN DRESS CODE:
- Attire that is conducive to the specific appearance or event (e.g. business casual, formal, etc.)
- No jeans, sneakers, flip flops, or boots. Alterations may be made to this jean-footwear rule only if:
a) Severe weather or unsafe conditions exist and
b) The Fair Queen' official coordinator or Board Member has approved an alteration consistent with the professional expectation.
- It is strongly recommended that closed toe shoes be worn when in livestock areas, for safety reasons.
- No visible piercings (other than earrings) or tattoos.
- No outfit that shows cleavage.
- Dresses/skirts must be no shorter than the height of a dollar bill (approx. 2.5") from the bottom of the dress/skirt hem to the top of the knee cap.
- No clothing that advertises, promotes, or glorifies the use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or anything inconsistent with the dignity of the Queen Program.
FAIR QUEEN BEHAVIOR POLICY:
The contestant's governing Board shall have the sole discretion to determine whether, in its judgment, the Queen, Alternate or contestants may continue to participate in the program, in the event that the Board determines that any statement or representation is not true and accurate, or that any action is inconsistent with the rules, standards and dignity of the Program.
- Any infraction of any Queen Contest Rules
- Smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, chewing gum, foul language and/or public displays of affection to dates/boyfriends while wearing crown &/or sash and representing the Queen Program.
- Engagement in any illegal, unpartisan, unethical, indecent and/or morally questionable behavior, including but not limited to online representations on the Internet such as social networking sites Facebook, Instagram, or SnapChat.
- Use of any illegal controlled dangerous substances or abusing the use of alcohol or other dangerous substances.
- Any defamation of the Queen Contest, its winners and contestants, and the fair or the PA Fair Queen Program and their directors and committee members, whether it be oral or written. This includes postings on the Internet.
- Any uncooperative or unsportsmanlike conduct before, during, or after the competition.
- Appearing in crown and banner at any event without an official invitation from an authorized event coordinator or event board member.