Department 23: Apiary and Maple Products
|Event||Day and Date|
|Judging||Sunday, August 14, 2022, in the afternoon|
|Deadline for all entries||August 1|
|Drop Off||Sunday, August 14, 2022 from 8:00 AM to 12 Noon.|
|Pick-Up||Sunday, August 21 from 8:00am - 12noon|
Exhibitors must adhere to the General Rules for the Harford Fair listed here.
Please see entry form below for a complete listing of rules and classes.
Section 1: Honey & Beeswax
- To enter: go to www.harfordfair.com and click on the link and follow the directions to enter online or use General Entry Blank below.
- Limit of one (1) item in each Class.
- Honey to be judged on perfection in filling, capping uniformity, neatness, & cleanliness of section. Extracted honey to be judged on body, clarity, & cleanliness.
- Beeswax: All entries in beeswax class must be covered with clean transparent plastic film. All entries must have been made by the exhibitor. Optimum color for pure beeswax in all classes is light yellow.
Section 2: Honey Cookery
- Entries must be accompanied by the recipe as used, written on 3” x 5” cards. Two copies must be submitted. Bring to fair with entry.
- 100% of the sweetening ingredients of entries must be honey. However, secondary sweetened ingredients or ingredients which contribute to the appearance to the entry may contain sweeteners other than honey. Secondary ingredients include chocolate, candy bits, coconut, preserved fruits & peels, marshmallows, nuts, colors, 7 flavors. Appearance items include the above ingredients and icings, fillings, dustings, decorations, glazings, and toppings.
- Entries will be exhibited as received. Plates will not be furnished.
- Pie crust will be judged on appearance. (not burned, broken, etc.)
- The Honey Cooking Show judge has authority to accept, reject, and classify entries in accordance with the rules.
Section 3: Maple Syrup & Syrup Products
- Syrup to be exhibited in glass container, from 1/2 pint to less than a quart in size.
- Entries shall be graded by the producer, according to USDA color grades (see individual class names for color grades).
- Entries shall be judged in their respective color grade classes as entered. All four grade classes may be entered.
Section 4: Maple Cookery
- These food items must contain a sufficient amount of a pure maple product so that flavor, consistency or sweetness is affected.
- These foods should exhibit those characteristics generally associated with other foods
in the class.
- The recipe for the item should be submitted with the entry.
- Judging of this class is entirely at the discretion of the judge without benefit of a score card